Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hot Fudge Sauce

I really enjoy ice cream. The only thing better than a bowl of ice cream is a bowl of ice cream slathered in hot fudge sauce. Baskin-Robbins does it best. I should know because when Jason was a company commander we had an ice cream sundae party and bought several tubs of ice cream and hot fudge from the local Baskin-Robbins. We had tons leftover, so we brought home several gallons of ice cream and a five pound plastic bag of hot fudge. Jason doesn't like hot fudge and Eli and Ali were babies, so I took full responsibility for those five pounds of rich, warm, chocolately goodness. It took me several months, but I singlehandedly licked the bag clean. I have been searching for a similar recipe ever since. This one from http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/tech/recipes/candy/hot-fudge-1/Chap1.html is close.

1/2 cup butter
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add all ingredients except the vanilla. Cook over medium heat for 20-25 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Store in the fridge and reheat as needed.

8 comments:

  1. This cant be right! More than a BOX of powdered sugar??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz. It's cracking me up that you found this recipe on my sad, neglected little cooking blog! It does sound like a ton of sugar, but it's very similar to this recipe from the brown eyed baker, except I used unsweetened chocolate, hence the extra suger. https://www.browneyedbaker.com/hot-fudge-sauce/ I hope you find a recipe that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may call it a sad neglected blog, but it's the third result on Google Canada for "baskin robbins chocolate fudge sauce". And the sauce was yummy. Thanks and good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Derek! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. What brand of chocolate did you use to replicate the taste of baskin and robbins? We're from the UK so not all chocolates are available and the taste can change a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you use dark or milk chocolate. What was the cocoa content?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m wondering the same thing and eagerly waiting for the answer!

    ReplyDelete